history 2

The Pomona Valley Protective Association (PVPA) was initially established in 1910 by way of a mutual agreement between the major water interests in the greater Pomona Valley. PVPA was formed to protect the rights of the water users in the Claremont, Pomona, Upland, and La Verne areas from outside interests developing and exporting local water from the area, to protect the rights of its stockholders and to insure an ongoing supply of water to the Pomona Valley. A nine member Board of Directors, elected annually at the stockholder’s meeting, governs the Association.

    
There are six groundwater basins recharged by the activities of PVPA: the Canyon, Upper and Lower Claremont Heights, Live Oak, Pomona and Ganesha Basins. Together they make up the area known as “The Six Basins.”

Water development in the area began in the mid-1800s. This development included the diversion of the surface flow from the local creeks, springs and Cienegas for agricultural use. As the area became more populated, the natural sources became overtaxed. In the late 1800’s, wells were dug in the Cienegas and tunnels were dug to intercept subsurface water. Pumps were installed in the wells when water levels became too low to flow by gravity.